After an 8 day wait PaceMate is available in the AppStore. I checked the stats this morning and it had 70 downloads yesterday so not bad for an application with no press and not much visibility in the AppStore.
I’ve rethemed the blog and also changed the Downloads page to Software which I think is more clear. I’m hoping to redo the table linking to software in the coming days and make it a little more attractive.
If you are a runner or cyclist or walker give it a look. It’s a nice way to figure out your pace or how long a particular distance will take you based on your pace and desired distance.
I’ve been working to learn some Objective-c for a few months now and finally got something put together that is fairly complete. I’m often using a pace calculator for running at coolrunning.com but wanted one in my pocket. There are already several really nice ones in the AppStore but this was more of a learning process for me. I also added something I think is nice that lets you email your data once you entered it. I intend to enter my run data and email it to myself after a run so that I can then transfer it to dailymile.com or other places I log running information.
At any rate I learned a few things about the application submission process as well as quite a bit about Objective-c and interface builder in xcode. Interface builder was more of a hurdle than I would have expected. Coming from .NET forms development background it’s really easy to drag a button onto a form and double click it to have it put my cursor right into the function that handles that button click. It’s quite a bit more involved when using the xcode setup.
I also think that the AppStore submission process is quite a bit more complicated than it needs to be. I’m giving my app away for free why do I have to do all the certificate requests and code signing when I don’t care about it being copied and freely used? It seems like applications submitted at the free price point could avoid all that.
PaceMate is now in the review process and hopefully it will be approved in a few days.
Released build 1019 tonight with a couple fixes:
Get it on the download page or via the in application check for update feature.
Twitter rolled out some nice changes to the API yesterday to include all user details in each method. This broke the XML parsing that was in ceTwit though. I’m going to look into redoing this at some point but there are quick patches on the download page or in application update to handle the bug and get you up and going again.
Sorry for the trouble and thanks to those that let me know there was a problem.